 Local / Australia / 783
Re: Australian Standards for LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 03:46:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:

Guys, guys. C'mon! Concrete? Loadings? I'd at least put it in as a suppliment
to AS4100, since perhaps Parts 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are directly applicable.
Structural LEGO is more akin to steel than concrete, and the loading code is
only used to determine the forces on the LEGO. Even parts 10 and 11 can apply
if you really hammer it, but hopefully never Part 12. Perhaps we can write
Appendix L to AS 4100 - Elastic Behaviour of Plastic Members. ;-)

</engineering geek mode>

What say we at loc.au develop the first lego Structural code, we call it
(Australian Lego Stadard) ALS2000. And Yes the first appendix can be Appendix • L
<
Engineering Geek Discussion mode>

Hmm See I'd have to disagree with the Lego being akin to steel. Steel is a
member that is best in tension and Concrete for compression. Now if you take a
couple of bricks (or plates)I'm sure you'd find more strength during
compressive loads than tensile loads.

Depends on what you're building, doesn't it, and a member in compression or
tension doesn't automatically dictate it's material component.

Houses, sure (although the bricks are behaving more like bricks and not a
homogenous concrete wall, and then we're into the building codes - let's not
go there!!). But most ot the other stuff I build I'm using LEGO to emulate
steel members of some sort. Steel can take a fair whack of compression too,
and is much better in bending, extreme fibres and all that.

However Technic Beams i can see being readily applied to AS4100.
</discussion>

That was my main focus though. Although I've made a post-tensioned LEGO slab
before (although I wasn't game enough to take it to uni "look at what I do in
my spare time, guys!!"). Now that was fun!

Pete Callaway