 Local / Australia / 765
Re: Australian Roll Call
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 02:21:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
Excellent! Welcome to loc.au! Pull up a 2x4 and stay! Tassie has been very
quiet for a long time (and nearly got left of the lugmap!!). It'd be great to
have a regular voice from down your way. What's the retail LEGO scene like in
Hobart?

Thanks for the welcome!
(and thanks for getting us put on the map (the other Pete also), I'd missed
that thread until you mentioned it, we often get forgotten down here...)

Part of my reason for lurking was that I never felt I had anything to say.
When I started out reading lugnet, it was usually when I was after
specific info.  The more I found out, the more info I wanted, and the more
I've hung around the more I've become interested in the "Lego society"
in general.  I've been lurking around here since at least 1998 (and
possibly earlier, when did this start up?) before that I was reading RTL
which eventually led me here.

I've been checking lugnet more regularly since late last year after info
on the 2000 product line, so I suppose the lateness of the Aus catalog
and the promise of more to come has had some benefit, it's kept me here
and got me interested enough to answer the roll call (besides, Kerry
sounded lonely :) ).

The retail scene in Hobart is pretty poor.  We've lost several small toy
retailers in the last few years, the remainder (with 1 exception) stopped
selling Lego. This is a real pity because these were the people that would
actually try and help you, show you retailer catalogs, dig around in their
store rooms and attempt to order stuff. The exception is Bridges Bros which
was an independent toy seller and is now our only southern Toy Kingdom.
Their Lego range has dwindled over the years and they are more expensive
but occasionally you can find something which is proving difficult
everywhere else.

Toyworld stocks less than they used to, large sets seems to have gone
out of favour there and their stock of the small sets is selective.
Eg City Centre (Town) they've got the Fire HQ but not the Highway
Construction, they've got the Tow Away Truck, the Police 4WD and the
Mini Dumper but not the Digger or the Fire Engine.

That leaves the department stores (Kmart (2), Target (2), Harris Scarfe (3)
and Myer (1)).  The first three sell generally good selections of the
small to medium sets only, Kmart used to sell some bigger
System/Technic/Duplo sets but doesn't anymore. I buy most of my Lego
from Myer which is usually the cheapest and they generally have at
least 1 of everything released, this year that seems to have been extended
to 3 or 4 of most large System and Duplo sets but not Mindstorms
(I've only ever seen the add-on kits not the RIS) or Technic (just the
middle sized and small kits).

As for sales, we get the national catalog sales for the department stores,
and  the 20% off School Holidays at Myer (we have different school
terms down here).  I've only ever seen one % off Lego sale at Toyworld
about 3 years ago and the smaller stores (RIP) never marked down
anything ever.

I'm sure you didn't want that much detail but you've got it! (Besides,
I haven't said anything for 3+ years so I'm entitled to catch up, aren't
I???!!!)

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com