 Local / Australia / 4927
Re: What's all this about?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 05:39:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
[1] SYDLUG - my suggestion to resolve the Studs/Slugs debate, It might be
boring, but it isnt ambiguous.

This is just silly.

Silly ? Possibly.
Petty ? Possibly.
Important ? Possibly.

I was the biggest proponent of 'Studs' for all the reasons we have
disccussed so many times.  We talked about this and sorted it months and
months ago.  However I am not at all interested in defending it forever - I
leave the field to the SLUGs.  (I'll be over here in the corner just
building Lego and MB models and websites ;-)

At the time it was discussed, I thought it was a trivial matter and not worth
arguing about for the sake of a casual group of Lego wranglers.
Maybe it was all a bit hastily done. Richard proposed it, James and Pete.C
supported and a lot of people didn't say too much.
Amongst a group of AFOLs, I think Studs is a great tongue in cheek name and
very fitting, I can see why Richard proposed it.
But outside AFOLs, the joke has to be explained which defeats the purpose.
Since that time the BUGs, MUGs and HUGs have come into being, do we see a
naming convention happening here ? (Not of course always relevant)
Three incidents got me thinking...
1.The W4K show, when I mentioned the name of our group to the manager when
  arranging the show, he seemed concerned until I explained what it meant,
  he needed to know in case parents asked.
2.At the W4K show, the female manager printed off a 'STUDS Lego Show' and
  stuck it to the table for her own amusement.
3.The AFOLs I met at Parramatta TRU, who when questioned about Lugnet made
  disparaging remarks about the name. Maybe it was my scary post-nightshift
  persona that had them concerned.

Names of groups that hope to attract new members should be as bland as possible
SLUGs,SydLUG,NSWLUG... whatever.

Richard has done a great job with the website and being the shopfront for the
group and put in a lot of work, which I'm sure everyone is grateful for.
If we want to be a standalone closed group, we can call ourselves The loyal
knights of the cubic brick or something similar, it isn't important.
But if you want to grow, you need to appeal to all tastes, and possibly be as
bland as a clownburger with/without special sauce.

pete.w (takes ball and bat and stands on the boundary)