 Local / Australia / 4988
Re: Whats all this about?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:39:20 GMT

The more I think about it, the more I think LA or their parent will • come-a-
stomping on LegOz. At this point LegOz is only a label of an idea.

I'm not sure if they can come a-stomping.

Firstly, they would have to have registered LegOz as a trademark, business
name, etc. I don't think having registered "Lego" would be sufficient to
prevent names like "LegOz".

Secondly, stomping only makes sense if there is economic risk. For example,
if a competitor used a name very similar to Lego, then obviously it would
make sense to try and stop them. Or if someone was trying to misrepresent
the company by using its name. However, it's hard to see how stomping on a
"fan club" would make a lot of sense; it would only make enemies of their
customers and make them look like a bunch of pratts in the media.

Fan clubs and user groups usually have a symbiotic relationship with the
parent company. Lego has already shown some good faith in this area already,
e.g. the use of its box covers and instructions as images on LUGnet and
brickshelf. Lego holds the copyright over these and could prevent their use.
Similarly, Lego could probably have threatened or taken action against the
people who reverse-engineering the RCX and provided the third-party software
like NQC.

As I see it, any publicly-visible LegOz activities (like this train show)
are just free advertising for Lego. Why try to stop us?

Kerry