 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3166
Re: Junkbot not saving progress (was: New stuff on LEGO.com...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Matthew Gerber writes:
imagine my shock when I
realized that the game wasn't saving my progress. Luckily, I saved a screen
shot of my final total, and I played it down even further after
finishing...I'm at 955 moves now (down from 1093). How did you guys do?

The bug that was keeping players' progress from being saved has been fixed.
Our apologies to all those who completed levels between Friday morning and
Monday afternoon!

We didn't finish the whole thing. I sort of expected that I would be able to
pick up where I (we) left off (we were playing under my ID). There are a few
puzzles we haven't figured out yet, or can't complete due to coordination
problems...  A few of them require quick hand eye coordination rather than
just planning, and those I didn't like.

Heh, heh..."Run the Gauntlet" frustrated me for a while...

I believe there are only three levels -- mostly the one Matt mentions, the
other two to a lesser degree -- where you need timing in order to complete
them, all in the last building. Thanks for the comment, of course. Of
course, if you want to lower your number of moves, you can do all sorts of
crazy things with good timing.

(the freezer one I
haven't grokked yet, I still am over 50 moves (and Nik is over 100 to solve
that one)...)

I've got the freezer down to 33 moves, but that took awhile...I don't know
HOW to do it in 20...

You can solve that level by moving bricks one at a time around Junkbot, of
course, but if you want to do it in 20 (I think the record is 16) the trick
is to "pick up" big clumps of bricks, hold them in your hand while Junkbot
moves through them, then put them back down. Thus you can deliberately
create huge clumps that you pick up all at once, etc. I'm mentioning this
mostly because it was driving me crazy forever too.

Junkbot is, IMO, one of the best Shockwave games ever made...I certainly
hope Tomas and his team are working on expanding the game with more levels
and such...they could keep me playing this for a LONG time...

Thank you! I have no idea at this point if we will be doing more levels, or
a downloadable version, but your comments are very nice to have. Question
along these lines - if there was a level editor, would you (or your kids, if
applicable) be inclined to make your own levels for others to play?

I should also give credit to the team that made the game, Gamelab
(www.gmlb.com), who have made several other fun online games like LOOP,
BLiX, and Sissyfight 2000.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct