 LEGO Company / Official LEGO Announcements / 39
Subject:
New stuff on LEGO.com: Mindstorms redesign, Build updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:28:38 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I'm pleased to announce two new developments on LEGO.com: the redesign of
the LEGO Mindstorms website, and the latest "edition" of Build.

LEGO Mindstorms
http://mindstorms.lego.com/
LEGO Mindstorms has a whole new look which should make it easier to find
information about products (like the new Robotics Invention System 2.0), the
latest inventions from our LEGO Mindstorms community (we have an improved
search engine), and new games like Robohunter 2, a 3D adventure where you
have to use a 'bot with a LEGO Cam to snap photos of of dangerous spies.

Of course, the new design still features all the same classic content --
challenges and contests of robotic design and programming, profiles of
advanced robot builders, building tips and instructions from experts like
Jin Sato. Later this month, stay tuned for information about the new
Ultimate Builders Set.

BUILD
http://www.lego.com/build/
Many people have already seen the recent update to the Build section of
LEGO.com, which included a feature article about artists who use LEGO,
including well-known AFOL sculptors and builders like Eric Harshbarger,
Henry Lim, and Eric Sophie.

This morning, we also launched Junkbot, the Build section's first game. In
Junkbot, you have to help a garbage-loving robot get around a big, dangerous
factory by building stairs, bridges, and walls out of LEGO bricks. It's our
attempt to make an online game built around the basic connection principles
of LEGO studs.

This time around, the Build section also features a profile of LEGO Master
Builder Paul Chrzan, who gave a talk at this year's Brickfest, and building
instructions for the Grand Prize winners of the recent LEGO Train contest.
The Build Time Capsule goes back to 1986 -- and by popular demand, we
managed to acquire even more photographs of sets like the original Guarded
Inn, Light & Sound Space sets, the Arctic Action series from LEGO Technic,
and more. Last but not least, our resident minifig guru, Redini, answers
questions about multicolored bricks, how many 2x4s we make in one day, and
why minifigs are yellow.

As usual, we're always glad to hear what people think, in this thread or
through e-mail.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct

Re: New stuff on LEGO.com: Mindstorms redesign, Build updates
In lugnet.lego.announce, Tomas Clark writes:
[...]

thanks for the heads up more reading to be done i see

Re: New stuff on LEGO.com: Mindstorms redesign, Build updates
In lugnet.lego.announce, Tomas Clark writes:
This morning, we also launched Junkbot, the Build section's first game. In
Junkbot, you have to help a garbage-loving robot get around a big, dangerous
factory by building stairs, bridges, and walls out of LEGO bricks. It's our
attempt to make an online game built around the basic connection principles
of LEGO studs.

And let me say, if you don't normally play the games on LEGO.com, this is
the one to make you start. I have cursed Tomas, et. al for creating this
HIGHLY addicting game more than once! Much fun for kids of ALL ages.

"Hi, my name is Jake, and I am a Junkbot addict."

Jake

---
Jake McKee
AFOL
LUGNET Member #211

Re: New stuff on LEGO.com: Mindstorms redesign, Build updates
Last but not least, our resident minifig guru, Redini, answers
questions about multicolored bricks, how many 2x4s we make in one day, and
why minifigs are yellow.

Hey...quick question.  Are Redini and the Great Beyondo ever going to get
together for a 'head-to-head?'

;-)

-Tim

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.lego.announce, Tomas Clark writes:
This morning, we also launched Junkbot, the Build section's first game. In
Junkbot, you have to help a garbage-loving robot get around a big, dangerous
factory by building stairs, bridges, and walls out of LEGO bricks. It's our
attempt to make an online game built around the basic connection principles
of LEGO studs.

And let me say, if you don't normally play the games on LEGO.com, this is
the one to make you start. I have cursed Tomas, et. al for creating this
HIGHLY addicting game more than once! Much fun for kids of ALL ages.

"Hi, my name is Jake, and I am a Junkbot addict."

I gotta' agree with Jake here, Tomas...HOW DARE YOU! You took up a WHOLE lot
of my afternoon today when I stumbled across Junkbot. And I only got to the
fourth building...Oh well, back to the trash-eatin'!

Matt "Junkbot Addict #2" Gerber