 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 310
309  |  311
Subject:
train windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:36:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brian Lanning writes:

Well, what I meant was that although we would call it the wrong piece and
certainly complain, a child may not since they're less likely to make a
complicated roof.  It's still a roof apex brick, even if it's the wrong one.
And maybe that wasn't enough of an error for them to justify the time for the
fix.  (see my other response)

Even a child would notice that the piece on the order form is
not what he got.

Or maybe they chose that name since that's the most identifiable use of that
brick lately.  Maybe they're assuming that people will be drawing on their
experience with late model sets when asking the reps for pieces rather than
drawing on a five or ten year history and a thourough knowledge of the history
of lego products.  We call a train window a train window because that's how we

They know exactly what a train window is.  I bet there is a
very good reason(s) why they offered transparent thin walls instead.

A couple possibilities come to mind:
- don't want to hurt sales of traditional product (soccer, model team, trains)
- production/supply limitations

Let's pretend they have a general classification system for elements,
to roughly gague how "special" they are.  Everyone notices how every set
has some special element(s) that make that set desirable. Not just for
adults but for kids as well.  We'll call those "category 1" and "category 2"
elements.  Beyond that, there are useful but more common "category 3" and
"category 4" elements, and finally your basic most common elements "category
5".

The optimal business strategy would be to offer category 2-5 elements
through LD, but reserve category 1 elements to preserve the value of
high end and medium priced sets.  Of course as a consumer I would disagree,
and say offer the parts we want at whatever price you choose.

Train windows would definately be category 1, but thin walls would
probably be category 2.

The same reasoning applies to 5 and 6 tall windows.  6 tall windows are
definately category 1, where it appears that 5 tall would be category 2.

KL