 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 303
Re: Does anybody actually know Mr Justus?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:18:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Kingsley writes:
Its funny,  they actually did fix one of the errors right away.  The picture
for the 2x8 brick pack was actually a 2x10.  That was mentioned here and fixed
very quickly.

That error actually showed the wrong piece whereas the other errors we've
mentioned have been in color and nomenclature.  Although we would argue that
the low slope apex brick is the wrong brick, it can be used (in most cases) in
place of the medium slope brick.

I wonder if they really thought we were talking about 1x4x3 thin walls when we
said train windows.  Did they really mean to give us a train window and got it
wrong?

I would think they would fix the page although I think they must be pretty
embarrased by the errors.  I think the fact that they can't tell the
differances in the slope of roof peeks to be pretty alarming.  Luckly I have
lots of extra peeks so I don't need 45 degree peeks.  I don't know if LD knows
how limiting it can be in making complex roofs without the correct degree of
slope on the roof.

I bet there are several powers at work.  Obviously, they know about making
complex roof designs.  Just look at the models lego builds!  I bet this was an
IT issue.  The two pages with brick pictures were ASP pages.  Why?  Why not
simple html that could be cooked up in 10 minutes?  I suspect that we're
seeing part of a larger IIS/ASP site.  And that would make sense.  For now,
it's silly to use ASP, but when you're changing the available parts by the
hundreds on a monthly basis, it makes much more sense to fill a table in sql
server with parts and have the site generate automatically.  Then you could
tie the online ordering piece in with this table showing the available
quantities and whether or not the agregate quantity had been reached.  And if
this were truly beta, the data could be shaky.  Maybe the left hand didn't
know what the right hand was doing.  We're all on the same page with the
nomenclature, but maybe they're not.  Non AFOL IT people may have a hard time
telling the difference between a medium slope apex brick and a low slope apex
brick.  Also, if the site is still under development, they may not just be
able to fix the problems.  Maybe they're nearing completion on the next
revision of this system and they're not ready to move to production yet.  Why
work on fixing those problems when you're moving to production in a couple
days?  It may be cheaper to accept the occaisional return than to apply a
short term fix.  This is a lot of supposition, but they probably have good
reasons for doing what they're doing.

The red and green doors on the other hand defy explanation.

I have to guess that there was a big mixup when it came to the windows.  My
guess is that they thought they ordered what was pictured but that was not • what
was manufactured, which would be extremely embarrasing.  And then calling
something a train window that no one hear considers a train window.  Plus the
Green Glass in the doors is the oddest thing of the bunch.

Or maybe they were nervous about running a new batch of parts for this "iffy"
service.  Everything indicates that they underestimated demand by a wide
margin.  Maybe they already had the raw materials for the trans green glass.
Do those glass pieces (in the doors) fit any other parts?  Maybe that part was
a test to see how people would respond to unusual color combinations.  Maybe
kids wouldn't return the doors, but adults would?  I'd love to hear an
explanation for this one, but I'm sure we'll never know.

Hopefully they are learning from their errors this time around and the second
round will go smoother although with the limited release of this round I am
pretty astounded at the number of errors.

It may be a miracle it worked at all.  Being part of the IT business, I know
how hard it can be to find good people.  Maybe their programmers have an
english problem.  ;-)  Can anyone say H1B?

I doubt it.  I would guess the next catalog will reach the widest number of
people.  Then after that I would guess there will be some inserts in sets to
get the rest.

We're a particularly vocal segment.  I bet we were the beta testers.

brian