 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 373
Re: train windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 02:34:43 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...

More specifically, what name do we call these things that will get some
mundanes interested in buying them? I mean, what mundane is going to buy
something called a "thin wall"? What would a mundane do with that? But
calling it a "train window" gives it a _purpose_. Admittedly, it's a • limited
name to give the part, but then what's the odds that a mundane chose that
name? ;-)

Who cares about the mundanes?

Target them and LD will be a flop. We're the heavy users. Give us what we • want
so we can wow the mundanes, doing free marketing for TLG in the process, • and do
it in a way that is:
- low fixed cost
- low variable cost
- gives a good enough return on investment that when you factor in the
qualitative marketing benefits it's a good business decision (it doesn't • have
to match the quant best IRR the company can get, it just shouldn't LOSE • money).

That's fair enough, but I can't help wondering whether they're trying to
market to the mundanes anyway. And how exactly does _our_ Lego expenditure
compare to that of the mundanes? Is it comparable? Does anyone have hard
data?

One way to reduce fixed cost is: no tooling, and no brand new colors.
One way to reduce variable cost is: only from current production and high • per
order volume requirements

Another way to reduce variable cost is to (remember the target market, • which is
US, not Johnny who wants to buy 5 windows) use the right nomenclature or at
least describe what is being sent accurately to reduce phone time and to • reduce
return volume. If you use the correct nomenclature and give references to • the
lugnet parts repository, you can foregoe doing illustrations which reduces • the
fixed cost of adding a new part to what is being sold.

Seems obvious to me. But then there may be info I don't have. (but I doubt • that
if I don't have it, that Brian Lanning or Paul Baluch do, so there...)

That would certainly be so. All I have is speculation.... I always thought
that the logistics of bagging and carting elements would be the real killer
financially, but I guess that's not necessarily true if they're
automatically bagged off the conveyor belts and all bags are shipped
directly to LD's warehouse... what other possible logistical processes would
operate here?

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164