 General / 41060
Re: How to critique, was Re: We need a new curator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:14:09 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Mark Neumann writes:
Critiquing is kind of tricky.  It takes a certain amount of maturity on both
sides of the table.  To paraphrase one of my mentors (warning, he wasn't the
kindest of souls.  I remember the triage of broken souls after his class.);
    'Don't tell me what you liked or didn't like, I don't care.  Your
opinion is just that, an opinion.  I want to know what worked, what didn't
work?  Why or why not?  Just because you don't like a particular style
doesn't meant that it doesn't create the effect that the author is after.
Look at the the author is trying to create and decide if they have done so
in an effective manner.  Is there some way that it can be done more
effectively?  That's what I want from you.'

<snip>

If I may be so bold to offer a suggestion to the curator: This post, or a
modified version of it, should be on the sidebar.

Allister