 General / 39316
Re: Star Destroyer (savouring it !)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:28:50 GMT

I think I get what your talking about.
I've tried making all the logos face the same way before too,
except it gets hard on corners and is near impossible for big sets.
I did build that way for my Imperial Shuttle though.
Hasta La Vista, Sean

In lugnet.general, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
I can relate to this. I have a special tic... eh, trick to savour and expand
the building experience in such a way that it takes me at least twice as
long to finish. I carefully inspect every piece to be placed, find out in
what direction the stud logo's -or when absent the botom logo- points and
place these in prefered direction orientations *). Here is how it works:

- The primary prefered direction is to point the topside of the word LEGO
towards the botom-left side of the standard isometric projection in the
building instruction (usually this coincides with the front of the model)
- If this direction is not possible, for instance when part has to be placed
horizontaly with its largest length perpedicular to the primary prefered
direction, I make the topside of the word LEGO point towards the top-left
side of the standard isometric projection in the building instruction
(usually this coincides with the 'starboard'-side of the model)
- If both primary and secondary prefered direction are not possible, for
instance when a part is to be placed with its largest lenght parallel to the
vertical axis, i resort to having the topside of the word LEGO point upwards.

I've demonstrated building Kevin Wilson's custom 'Cottage' kit at the
LEGOWORLD 2002 event and it attracted a lot of attention. Visitors realy
enjoyed seeing someone build so concentrated en gave comments in such
fashion as: "LEGO still can be a lot of fun, when you have a proper set like
they used to make in the old days". Chidren, boys and girls alike, also got
excited and pointed out the little details that could be found inside to
eachother.

My fellow AFOL's watched me streatching the build over 2 days **) in various
emotional states, varying from mild amazement to total bewilderment. One
declared me (not completely seriously, but in a cheerfull mood) 'raving
mad'. I don't mind what people think of it, I realy like to take as long as
possible.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Imperial Star Destroyer, and plan to
keep working on it for more than 2 weeks.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

*) Note that a few parts have an equal amount of stud logo's facing in both
directions. this makes them indifferent to my placing rules.

**) also due to answering the many, many questions this lovely set triggered
from the general public. They simply adored it!