 Off-Topic / Fun / 9941
Re: predigested pap (was Re: Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:37:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John P. Henderson writes:
A-heehee!  ...Hey wait, are you saying I'm old??   ;o
(rubs chin) possibly... : )

Yeah, that was basically what I had, except there was a yellow school bus
mixed in there somewhere too.  As for the ice, that added to the fun.  My
parent's driveway is about 900 feet long on a hill.  When it iced over, I
could wait until the last minute until I could hear the echo of the school
bus a couple of stops away.  Then I would take a running jump into a plastic
sled and slide most of the way down.  Just before the bus pulled in, I would
jump up, land on my feet at a jogging pace, and in the same motion grab the
corner of the sled and send it into a well-hidden ditch near the driveway
for me to pick it up in the afternoon.  Ahh, the memories of childhood in
New England!
Lucky.  But at least you had the bus!  I had to walk the whole way!
oh, and slipping on black ice may be fun in a sled,
but when your backpack is really heavy and you slip,
and fall on your face,
and then try to get up and slip again,
and a little kid across the street is looking at you like
your some kind of complete nerd, then its not so fun.  : (

One curiosity is that I have seen bags for today's kids that have only one
shoulder strap.  Although this caters to the habit of carrying a bag over
one shoulder, it is ironic considering that an ergonomically correct
backpack should be worn loose on two shoulders and firm around the waist,
such as in the mountain hiking packs I have graduated to these days.  Of
course I suppose the one-shoulder habit is good for just walking between
classes as opposed to walking up a 4000 foot mountain ridge for days at a >time.
Well, I still tend to use both straps on my backpack,
but it doesn't do a heck of a lot of good.
My dad is always asking me if I have books or bricks in my backpack.

I envision you using the salute that Rimmer uses on Red Dwarf.  ...Or is
that before your time?   <smirk>
<smirk>  I'd answer that, but I don't have to. : )

I put too many smileys in this, didn't I? : )

Is there such a thing?    :)   ;-p
Now that you mention it..... No : )

Hasta La Vista, Sean
-Hendo