 Off-Topic / Fun / 9944
Re: Zork
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:20:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Sean Devolites writes:
Thanks for the info guys.
But not being one who usually gets into games and the like,
Is zork a kind of game that some people put on their TI-83 calculators,
or am I way off on that one?

In the Before Time of Long Long Ago, computers rarely used graphics (we're
talking 1970's). Most things were text. Computers simply couldn't handle
complex graphics in a timely sense, and often, because storage was so
expensive back then, graphics took up lots of space!

Enter Zork. Zork was an adventure game (when was it actually released?) that
used text instead of graphics. (Back then there were NO graphical adventure
games [that I know of]). And instead of using the arrow keys or a joystick
or a mouse or some other new-fangled-gadget to move, you typed your
commands. And instead of seeing the place you were in on the screen, you'd
get a description. Something like:

You are standing in a small room. There is a large desk in the middle of the
room with a single piece of paper on it.

And you'd enter commands like:

take paper

For its day, Zork was wicked awesome. Compared to the games of today, it's
pretty laughable. But it's the nostalgia that counts :) And for those who
are nostalgic about it, it's such a small program (by today's standards)
that you can put the program on your Palm Pilot, or maybe even TI-calculator
(I wouldn't know on that one).

DaveE