 Off-Topic / Fun / 9940
Re: predigested pap (was Re: Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Sean Devolites writes:
Hey, I *technically* used to have to do that back in Elementary School!
(ah those were the days, why I remembe...
Wait a sec, I'm starting to sound like you guys! : ))

A-heehee!  ...Hey wait, are you saying I'm old??   ;o

You see, we lived at the top of the hill, so you walked downhill halfway,
and then the school was on a hill, so you had to walk uphill,
and then vice versa.
Oh, and I'll never forget the time when I slipped on the ice : (

Yeah, that was basically what I had, except there was a yellow school bus
mixed in there somewhere too.  As for the ice, that added to the fun.  My
parent's driveway is about 900 feet long on a hill.  When it iced over, I
could wait until the last minute until I could hear the echo of the school
bus a couple of stops away.  Then I would take a running jump into a plastic
sled and slide most of the way down.  Just before the bus pulled in, I would
jump up, land on my feet at a jogging pace, and in the same motion grab the
corner of the sled and send it into a well-hidden ditch near the driveway
for me to pick it up in the afternoon.  Ahh, the memories of childhood in
New England!

Of course, the use of a backpack enabled me to do this, since jumping into a
sled head first would simply be impossible any other way...  :)

As for backpacks, I was one of the dorky kids who realized very early on how
a backpack is far easier to carry then the gym-bags that were so popular in
my day.  I was often teased by my classmates for it, since it wasn't cool.
Ironic that today's youth uses backpacks so much that they are now produced
almost exclusively.  I guess I am a trendsetter!  :)

-H.
Gym-bags???

Did you have contests doing weight lifting with them?

Well, at least people in your age didn't have the pain right
between the shoulder blades after carrying a backpack with
*4* textbooks, a binder, 3 folders, and a gym uniform.
(and a few sticks of gum if you want to count that too : ))

One curiosity is that I have seen bags for today's kids that have only one
shoulder strap.  Although this caters to the habit of carrying a bag over
one shoulder, it is ironic considering that an ergonomically correct
backpack should be worn loose on two shoulders and firm around the waist,
such as in the mountain hiking packs I have graduated to these days.  Of
course I suppose the one-shoulder habit is good for just walking between
classes as opposed to walking up a 4000 foot mountain ridge for days at a time.

So if you came up with the idea, then you suffered the pain,
so I salute you.  (mocky salute) : )

I envision you using the salute that Rimmer uses on Red Dwarf.  ...Or is
that before your time?   <smirk>

I put too many smileys in this, didn't I? : )

Is there such a thing?    :)   ;-p

-Hendo