 General / 31186
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:41:30 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 08:37:52AM +0000, Daniel Crichton wrote:

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
this has been brought up before... however, NNTP authentication only • makes
sure you are allowed to log in to the server, it doesn't enforce you • not
posting as anyone else....

So why not have the NNTP server check the id and password against the • name
and email address in the message and if they don't match either refuse • the
message or switch to email authentication?

that would be a good option, if it was possible.  From my (limited)
understanding of NNTP servers, once they authorize you to post, they do
not do any more checks.  Being open-source, of course, means we could
potentially modify the server to do just that, but that might mean quite
a bit of work...  I believe Todd has mentioned that option, but is trying
to find other ways first...

Todd must have already modified the server to handle checking the sender
name and email address against those registered on the server - when you
first post using NNTP the message doesn't appear for a while as you have to
reply to the email sent to prove it's your email address, and from then on
the 2 parts are checked - that's why some people have problems if they
change their name in their software.

Dan