 Administrative / NNTP / 863
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:33:03 GMT

Hello Ross, hello everybody,

So in other words, one annoying person has effectively forced many others to
put up with an unnecessary (until now) inconvenience.

Yes, even if you may not like this concept. It has always been that way.
Look at how many regulations you have to follow in your life outside the
'net. Most of those are only necessary, because there are also some bad guys
around ...

I also use the web, and so am unaffected. And I know Todd is looking for
ways to ameliorate the plight of those who don't. I just can't help but feel
that anything which makes it easier for legitimate users also makes it
easier for others, and reduces the effectiveness of the solution.

That is not necessarily the case. I for my part would never stop looking for
a better solution, just because someone does not believe one could exist.
Now, let me try to elaborate on what "better" means to me:
  - at least as secure as the solution we have, i. e. somebody who does
    not have access to my computer, email account, passwords, private keys
    etc. will not able to pretend he is me when posting to LUGNET
  - easier to use, by eliminating the out-of-band authentication mechanism

I have already proposed a PGP based solution along those lines. Now let's
see how more knowledgeable people than me judge it ...

As for making authentication optional, I see this as a fall-back position
when a more usable solution cannot be figured, and if and when a majority of
LUGNET users feels that spoofing is mostly something between the spoofer and
the legitimate owner of the identity he is stealing. I personally have no
opinion on this, because I have not been affected by thre recent spoofing. I
have also not followed the discussion about why people found the recent
spoofing so disruptive ...

Greetings

Horst