 Administrative / NNTP / 864
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:35:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Anders Isaksson writes:

Perhaps the (logged in) ones using the web interface should keep quite a
while, to give the mail and NNTP (and slow modems in general) users a chance
to chime in...

Normally I use the web interface (for over a year now), but I have the NNTP
still set up in Navigator, so I gave it a test shot.

1) Open 'lugnet.com' in NS/Messenger window
2) Try to add 'lugnet.off-topic.test', then realize that I already had it in my
list.
3) Read the 100 most recent headers
4) Hit 'New' and compose a short and useless test message
5) 'Send' the message (both to lugnet and bcc to my email account)
6) Wait 10 secs or so
7) Check my mail (got both the bcc and the confirmation request)
8) Click on the confirmation link, then hit the 'OK' button (or yes or whatever
it said)
9) Wait 10 secs
10) go to the web interface, click on 'off-topic' and see my message.

Total time to do these steps was 4-mins 30-secs...   on a 26.4K moderately slow
dial-up connection. Seems tolerable to me, however YMMV.

Ray