 General / 31140
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:00:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dan Boger writes:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:54:34PM +0000, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Now, there is a simple way around this - in Outlook 5 which I have, there is
an option "my server requires me to log on" - I need a username and password.
I am not at home now, so I cannot check whether we actually use this, but we
should.
This will give the authentication we need. The lugnet server can create it
and send it to people.
Can anyone tell - is this possible in netscape, opera and other browsers?

this has been brought up before... however, NNTP authentication only makes
sure you are allowed to log in to the server, it doesn't enforce you not
posting as anyone else....

But still - for me it seems simply to verify the password, username, and the
name email to what lugnet have in databases.

Sonnich