 Administrative / NNTP / 880
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:07:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Anders Isaksson writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet

Might be a language issue, then. The first Swedish translation that came to
mind was not *suggesting*, but quite a bit more imperatoresque (word?). Might
be the 'should' - in Swedish you don't use that unless you mean imperative
'Should!, no options given'.

Thanks for clarifying that. You're right. English has three common levels,
here...

"could"  - meaning it's possible, no expression of preference,
"should" - making a suggestion or expressing a preference
"must" -  the imperative in which you are claiming it is required to do so...

As you can see from my next line, I let Todd be, I just tried to inform about
_my_ view of the change. It does not correspond with _your_ view, OK?

More than OK!

Maybe your beef is with your telephone company.
It oughtn't to be with Todd or anyone else here.

It's not. My 'beef' is with everything that makes things _more_ troublesome,
instead of making things easier. I don't say I have a solution, I just say
Lugnet got much more irritating to use. If that view does not correspond with
yours, so be it. But it's still one Lugnet users (not member, though) view,
and should be valued as such.

I don't think anyone is saying that using lugnet just got less irritating!
(except in that one source of irritation, our spoofer, has been eliminated)
Nor do I think anyone is trying to stifle your opinion. Sorry if my words
came across that way.

However I do think that just saying that you are inconvenienced (which Todd
IS aware of) doesn't add quite as much to the discussion as what some other
folks have... they have been trying to come up with ideas that perhaps Todd
isn't already aware of to improve the process. That's where I think you
should (should again, not must... it WOULD be my preference that you do so
but you are free to do as you like) focus your energies.

++Lar