 Administrative / NNTP / 858
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:12:52 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Ross Crawford writes:

...if you use the web to post. Most of the people complaining use email or • a
newsreader to post, for which there's no way to "log on".

They should consider switching to the web mechanism or putting up with the
inconvenience, while Todd, who I feel is extremely clever, and who said he
was thinking about ways to help, comes up with mechanisms to ameliorate
their plight. Not that I think it's much of a plight, actually, but then I
use the web interface exclusively now, while I am logged in, so for me it is
zero impact except perhaps a slightly longer time to post (not that I have
actually seen it, I suspect it adds milliseconds at most).

Perhaps the (logged in) ones using the web interface should keep quite a
while, to give the mail and NNTP (and slow modems in general) users a chance
to chime in...

My normal method of reading/posting to Lugnet has been:

- wait until low telephone rate time (after 18.00, GMT+1)
- connect, send yesterday's mail and posts, download e-mail and news (quick
browsing around the net while up/downloading the messages), disconnect
- read (free of charge), answer, off-line

With the change, the 'quick browsing around...' would partly be 'read a mail,
click a link, wait... (from this side of the pond, Lugnet (or any other
American site) is not the fastest site in the world), acknowledge in the
browser' - repeated for every message I'd posted to Lugnet.

Not that I'm a big poster, but I'll be even smaller from now on.

<IRRITATION>
(Repeating Larry's words again)

They should consider switching to the web mechanism or putting up with the
inconvenience

Sweeping statements like this really raises my blood pressure! It's not for
you to decide what is an option (or not) for other people - it's their choice
or non-choice!

I think that most mail or NNTP users already _have_ considered the web
interface, and come to the conclusion that it's not worth it (or not even
possible, for some).

The so called 'flat rates' here in Sweden would still double my Internet cost,
compared to the modem connection, used at low rate time. That's my choice, my
priorites.

I do _not_ demand that Todd should change anything to suit my preferences
better, but I _demand_ that it should be completely OK to express an opinion,
without beeing told what to do!

... Not that I think it's much of a plight, actually, ...

Well, of course not! You're not experiencing it! Switch over to slow
(expensive) modem connection, and test the plight before you say anything
about it.

</IRRITATION>

Sorry, had to get that out of me...
(Now let's see if this makes it through the process in less than half an
hour...)

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm