 Administrative / NNTP / 860
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:48:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Anders Isaksson writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet

They should consider switching to the web mechanism or putting up with the
inconvenience

Sweeping statements like this really raises my blood pressure! It's not for
you to decide what is an option (or not) for other people - it's their choice
or non-choice!

I'm comfortable with *suggesting* that you switch. I don't see "should
consider" as a sweeping statment that is dictating anything to you or not.

You know what? I participate in a LOT of communities that *only* offer a web
interface. People that can't or won't use a web interface are completely
disenfranchised. Completely.

Something HAD to be done here. Todd has said that he is working on changes.
Let him be and abide until then.

I do _not_ demand that Todd should change anything to suit my preferences
better, but I _demand_ that it should be completely OK to express an opinion,
without beeing told what to do!

I agree with your sentiment but not with that you're demanding. Unless
suggesting that you *consider* something is TELLING you what to do, no one
here is doing anything to tell you what to do, though.

Maybe your beef is with your telephone company. Or spoofers. It oughtn't to
be with Todd or anyone else here.

++Lar