 General / 31175
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:37:52 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:54:34PM +0000, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Now, there is a simple way around this - in Outlook 5 which I have, • there is
an option "my server requires me to log on" - I need a username and • password.
I am not at home now, so I cannot check whether we actually use this, • but we
should.
This will give the authentication we need. The lugnet server can create • it
and send it to people.
Can anyone tell - is this possible in netscape, opera and other • browsers?

this has been brought up before... however, NNTP authentication only makes
sure you are allowed to log in to the server, it doesn't enforce you not
posting as anyone else....

So why not have the NNTP server check the id and password against the name
and email address in the message and if they don't match either refuse the
message or switch to email authentication? And if there is no id and
password then use email authentication? That way everyone who wants to use
NNTP auth so they can avoid the email/web posting confirmation can (if they
have a news reader that supports NNTP auth), and everyone else including new
readers who decide to post get the email authentication? Todd can revoke
NNTP ids to prevent abuse just as I'm sure he does with email addresses now,
the NNTP posters are happy, the web posters are happy, and everyone else can
still read and post with a little inconvenience, but no more than they have
right now.

Dan