 Administrative / NNTP / 873
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:51:31 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Anders Isaksson writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet

They should consider switching to the web mechanism or putting up with
the inconvenience

Sweeping statements like this really raises my blood pressure! It's not for
you to decide what is an option (or not) for other people - it's their
choice or non-choice!

I'm comfortable with *suggesting* that you switch. I don't see "should
consider" as a sweeping statment that is dictating anything to you or not.

Might be a language issue, then. The first Swedish translation that came to
mind was not *suggesting*, but quite a bit more imperatoresque (word?). Might
be the 'should' - in Swedish you don't use that unless you mean imperative
'Should!, no options given'.

You know what? I participate in a LOT of communities that *only* offer a web
interface. People that can't or won't use a web interface are completely
disenfranchised. Completely.

Well, that's a choice. I participate in a LOT of mailing lists, that don't
have web interfaces (or paper versions). People without e-mail are completely
disenfranchised (quite a word, that. What does it really mean in this context?
My word book talks about losing voting rights...).

Something HAD to be done here. Todd has said that he is working on changes.
Let him be and abide until then.

As you can see from my next line, I let Todd be, I just tried to inform about
_my_ view of the change. It does not correspond with _your_ view, OK?

I do _not_ demand that Todd should change anything to suit my preferences
better, but I _demand_ that it should be completely OK to express an
opinion, without beeing told what to do!

I agree with your sentiment but not with that you're demanding. Unless
suggesting that you *consider* something is TELLING you what to do, no one
here is doing anything to tell you what to do, though.

See 'Language' above.

Maybe your beef is with your telephone company.
It oughtn't to be with Todd or anyone else here.

It's not. My 'beef' is with everything that makes things _more_ troublesome,
instead of making things easier. I don't say I have a solution, I just say
Lugnet got much more irritating to use. If that view does not correspond with
yours, so be it. But it's still one Lugnet users (not member, though) view,
and should be valued as such.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm