 Administrative / NNTP / 887
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 01:55:28 GMT

Daniel Crichton <danielc@helio.co.uk> wrote in message
"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
Todd could make is to your member ID and password where what you used to • sign
on to NNTP?  Actually maybe he could do this for members and leave the
authentication process in for non-members.  This way members can post • more
freely and because they are members the consequences of a TOS violation • are
that much more grave.

I would love this. I am a paid up Lugnet member (no pack yet, guess • there's
a backlog), and I love NNTP as I can keep track of interesting threads and
find messages I haven't read quickly and easily. If I could enter my • Lugnet
member ID and password in the NNTP auth settings and not have to have this
email auth then that would be perfect, and the idea of leaving the email
auth for non-members is, I believe, workable.

Dan

I would also really like this solution, even though I am NOT a paid up
lugnet member.
If everyone still had access via NNTP, but members could bypass the
authentication process by signing in, then that would be just enough to get
me off my ass and become a member. The hassle of exchanging currency to get
$10 to Todd would more than make up for being able to bypass the hassle of
email authentication, and would help eliminate the guilt of having used this
great resource for years without coughing up a few dollars in appreciation.

(Duckie) Dave Till