 Administrative / NNTP / 888
Re: Are that many people really glad about the security stuff?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:21:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter McLoone asked these things:
Well personally I'm a bit ticked. How many people are really glad about
these new security features.

Glad - absolutely.

Is this really necessary?

Yes, it really is.  Overdue, perhaps, but good things take time.

As far as i see Brad's idea was the best, keep it optional, if someone
feels that they are being "cloned" as I believe the term is, than
they can switch on the feature, and voila, the dude can't bother
that person.
However for the other thousands and thousands of websurfers
out there, is this whole mess required?

Yes, it is.  It is a regular annoyance and inconvenience to us now, but after a
while, we will adjust and simply get accustomed to posting with authentication.

The key thing here is to make it optional, because there are so
many out there that are probably thinking this a con, rather than a pro.
So generally I'm trying to rally some support against this absolute pain
in the arse.

Of course in the event that you people out there decided to be too
timid to complain, or actually like this, I suppose I'll have to yield,
but don't expect me to cower down, I'm a very perserverant person.

This feature is absolutely necessary, IMO.  Use some of your perseverence to
learn to deal with he new procedures.  Some of the other replies mention a
little routinte they do for getting their messages posted efficiently.  Give
those ideas a try.

I miss the instant appearance of messages myself, but will get used to it as
time passes and I get more accustomed to the system.

If it keeps the trolls out, I'm all for it....

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego brick enthusiast for over 20 years....

.