 Administrative / NNTP / 856
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:38:05 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
Again at face value I like this idea, but I can easily see why Todd might • not
want to do it either.  Maybe (I don't have the techical experiance in the • area)
Todd could make is to your member ID and password where what you used to • sign
on to NNTP?  Actually maybe he could do this for members and leave the
authentication process in for non-members.  This way members can post more
freely and because they are members the consequences of a TOS violation • are
that much more grave.  Again I don't have the proper knowledge in this • area so
I may just be blowing smoke.

I would love this. I am a paid up Lugnet member (no pack yet, guess there's
a backlog), and I love NNTP as I can keep track of interesting threads and
find messages I haven't read quickly and easily. If I could enter my Lugnet
member ID and password in the NNTP auth settings and not have to have this
email auth then that would be perfect, and the idea of leaving the email
auth for non-members is, I believe, workable.

Dan