 Administrative / NNTP / 854
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:00:59 GMT

I just thought of something.  Todd, do you have any stats on NNTP usage?
Can you tell how many members vs non-members use NNTP?  If the number of
non-members using NNTP is low, maybe just make NNTP a "privilege" of
membership.

I'm against the authentication.  I use NNTP almost exclusively and probably
always will.  It's just too much easier (at least for me) to just let
everything come to me in one click and then read at my leisure offline or
online.

Mike
-----
Mike Faunce
mike at faunce dot com

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
I don't see this as "punishing the whole community" but a necessary evil • in
order to preserve the community.  I realize that this has made things • difficult
for NNTP users and non-member web users.  My hope is that Todd can at • least do
something for the NNTP Member Users.  As for non-member users I have to • say I
see this as a "membership benefit" from a web point of view.  So if you • are a
non-member web user I don't see an issue.  I do see the issue for NNTP • Member
Users though and I hope Todd can do something to make it easier for you. • That
said however I still say being secure is more important then being easy to
use.