 Administrative / NNTP / 837
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:52:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Brad Hamilton writes:

Since this has happened, I've seen one reply of the nature "Great - I'm so
happy you did this!" post and a huge number of "This is such a hassle, why
are we doing this" posts.  Presumably, the one positive post is from the one
person (or maybe there were two) that had this problem.

Well allow me to say that I am glad that Todd implemented this
measure.  Mostly because since it has been implemented, we have
gotten rid of the annoying clone.

Until said clone (or someone else) finds another way around it.

And it will continue to
help LUGNET remain a very nice friendly place that I actually
enjoy coming to.

I enjoyed my time on Lugnet even when the clone was having fun - I just
ignored the posts (mostly).

To me that is worth the small hassle people have
to go through to post.  I still think the easiest way to post is
via the web while logged in to LUGNET, so it hasn't affected me
at all.  I know there are people can't use the web to post, and that
is unfortunate.

I also use the web to post 99% of the time, but I'm still not convinced this
is a good solution to the problem we've been experiencing. See my earlier
post http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9268

Why are we punishing the whole community for a problem that only one or two
people had?  This is even more annoying given that this is the first time
I've heard about this happening (so presumably, the likilihood of this
happening again is low as well).

We had been getting attacked by that same troll/flamer for about
a year.  And that was one person.  In my opinion we've been
extremely lucky that we haven't had more.

I believe, however, that we will have more, and this is setting a precedent.
As they find ways around the security, Todd will be forced to implement more
such "solutions", and it will become a decreasingly "nice" place to be. So
in the end, the pests get what they want, and the rest of us get what they
force us to have.

Why can't this authentication be an optional feature?  Why not let the one
or two people who are actually worried about being spoofed turn it on and
let everyone else post without authorization???

Because it still allows an unauthorized person to post to LUGNET.
The point wasn't to protect people who didn't want to be cloned.  It
was to keep out people who weren't authorized to post.

And I still maintain this isn't what the problem is. The problem is the
people who (authorised or not) post trolls/flames etc. and the other people
(authorised or not) who take the bait and post public replies.

In our most
famous case, we have a person who had been banned from LUGNET, but
continued to post here, disrupting things, attacking other users,
and making outright threats.  If authentication were optional that
person could continue to post.

I personally believe that the spoofing that went on was probably an isolated
case by one individual.  Are we going to let that one attack stifle the life
out of LUGNET???

I believe it will help preserve LUGNET's life, not stifle it.  Compare
the "quality of life" here on LUGNET with that of Usenet.

Sure, Lugnet will survive, at least for a while, but a lot of people will
post less than they would've before. Dunno whether thats good or bad...

Regards

ROSCO