 Administrative / General / 9268
9267  |  9269
Subject:
The Problem (was Re: Eeek! I've been multiply moultoned!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:06:12 GMT

I'm still here, and I'm working to resolve the issue.  Clearly we need a
workable mechanism for authenticating email addresses.  I've got some ideas
and have spoken with people off-line about these.  It won't be pretty.

Todd, (et al)

I'm worried about a technical solution to authentication problem. In fact,
I'm a bit worried about whether we're solving the right problem at all.

To me it seems the problem is not enforcing a ban on individuals, it's more
a case of trying to reduce the number of unsavoury posts in the community. I
don't think there's a purely technical solution to this problem. However, I
think trying to implement one which causes more hassles for the community
isn't a good idea - a solution which causes more problems than it fixes
isn't a solution.

Also, the idea of banning individuals necessarily puts the burden on an
individual, namely Todd, to make the ultimate decision, and chances are
people will find a way around it anyway.

So I would propose that a community problem requires a community solution. I
think:

1. Mad Hatter's posting rights should be re-instated. This will eliminate
the need for him [1] to post using other identities. Unfortunately, it
doesn't mean he will stop spoofing...

2a. People should refrain from posting replies to inflamatory posts (from
anyone!). Such replies (IMHO) should be e-mailed, or taken off-line altogether.

2b. People should try to refrain from posting inflamatory comments! This is
hard, and I'm guilty of 2a & 2b myself, but if we can all try & keep these
kind of posts private (ie e-mail), I think it'll help a lot.

3. If members see others participating in flame wars on Lugnet, they should
politely e-mail *both / all participants* [2] asking them to take it
off-line. Posting such messages to the thread doesn't help.

4. Maybe, if these measures fail to work, institute a policy of temporary
[3] bans for *both / all participants*. This should be a last resort.

This takes the responsibility for a community problem out of the hands of an
individual (Todd), and puts it squarely in the hands of the whole community
(except if point 4 is needed). We've already identified (and Mad Hatter has
actually confirmed in various posts) that if we want the posts to stop, all
we have to do is avoid replying publically. I think if the community takes
some responsibility for keeping things running smoothly, we'll all get a lot
more out of this fantastic resource.

Regards

ROSCO

[1] I've assumed Madd Hatter is male, as it's generally accepted that his
real name is Matthew Moulton, which sounds male to me.

[2] Flame wars can involve many people, but generally, when the initial
burst quietens down, it gets down to 2 or 3. In my experience.

[3] My initial thought would be about 3 days.