 Administrative / NNTP / 879
Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:55:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Daniel Staudt writes:
while i understand the need for this system i think it would be easyer on
alot of people if it (maybe as an option") simply did a reply send to
verify the message instead of clikcing on a link, waiting for your browser
to open, reading the message, and clicking on the right button.

I think the issue with a reply is that, unless something specific was
required to entered into the mail, it is too easy to put replies on
automatic pilot by automating the reply with a rule in your mail program.

As soon as you do that, you have the spoofhole again.

My thinking is the essence of this scheme is that it requires positive
action of some sort on your part to work.