 General / 31187
Re: what are the 5 worst lego elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:43:55 GMT

Simon Bennett wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
For me it is: (not in order)
1.technic decorative pannels
2.townjr car bases
3.flexable axles
4.studless fullwidth beams
and 5.technic angle connectors

Wait up a bit Johnathan.  Can you define what you mean by worst?  Possible
inferences could be:

1 - Least use in building MOCs
2 - Least representative of the real world version
3 - Most irritatingly common but no real help in building
4 - Most SPUD- ish / juniorized
5 - Worst produced / easy to break
6 - Just plain least aesthetically pleasing.

For me, the biggest sin of these is No. 4 and the worst culprit is the 30235
car base.  By a mile.  I sighed when I saw my first one of these.  It
exactly replaces six separate pre-existing parts which could have been used
to make other models.  Tragic.

Psi

Actually there are too many bad pieces (almost all of them are post
1996) and some of them are the "worst", from many different points of
view.

From Jonathan's list, I can say that all the pieces, except Carbase Jr.,
are not bad from many points of view.

Angle connectors are replacement parts for old toggle joints, but since
they came in 6 different angles, they are almost flexible as the old
parts (although they cannot perform some uses that you can perform by
using a toggle joint and a toothed half bush in combination), and have
some additional properties like being stronger (cracked toggle joints
was a big sadness from my pre dark age times) and being available in
many colors. Though I still prefer the old toggle joint..:-)

Decorative panels, corrugated tubing and flexible axles are decorative
parts, and I think they work nice for the purpose. Besides, They are not
one of the single purpose stupidity that TLC puked around during the
last four years. I saw very nice uses af them round the web, which
qualify them as nice Lego pieces, in my eyes.

I think any kind of technic beams are very useful pieces in Technic
constructions, either sloped or not, either half or full. Only bad thing
about them is the current trend: "put much of them to the sets instead
of studded beams and 1x technic plates"...:-(

Actually I also don't have very bad feelings about certain SPUDS,
including boat hulls , inflatable boats, raw boats, huge and small
tipper and digger buckets, minifig tools and furniture, chests, barrels,
animals, plants, etc.

Now, for the bad and ugly pieces in my mind, as I already mentioned,
there are many many, so I exclude Znap and Scala which are not really
lego at all. Here is my list:

* All of the "Brick Jr." stuff. Many of them are deep insults to Lego
brick library itself. I have only one carbase Jr. in my collection (~270
sets - 47000 bricks) which is from set 6332 (that I won from TRU as a
promotion item by a lottery) and it was the enough reason not to buy any
other Jr. sets. I knew that I can't stand having another one. The others
are not less bad either, like 5H bricks and slopes, rock pieces, new
single piece palm tree, etc. The POOPS are mostly bad except a very few
cases.

* Some people sad one of the bad pieces was the Jar Jar head. I know Jar
Jar is a mostly annoying creature, but the Lego Jar Jar head is a decent
Jar Jar head at least. But what about Sebulba thing? eeeeewww... I hate
it I really HATE it. I can really say that it is the single piece that
disappointed me most from all aspects. I can't accept TLC quality,
technology and experience resulted in this waste of plastic. And
unfortunately they introduced another version of it in Watto's Junkyard.

* The newly introduced "Racers" thingies. Can anybody see a single sane
purpose under the idea of producing them? The toy shops here have much
better examples of this idea with two basic differences :
1- They don't have Lego logo on their packages.
2- They are 10 times cheaper.

* 24 teeth gears without axle holes, rack and 1x plate combinations,
toothless toggle joints, toothless half bushes, toothless 1x5 technic
plates, toothless 3-blade technic rotors, toothless...  Introducing a
new part with similar functionality and new features to replace the
older is one thing, transforming an existing piece to a less useful one
is other... a completely different other.

Selçuk