 General / 31107
Contest: Unusual use of "bad" Lego elements [was: Re: what are the 5 worst lego elements?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:57:47 GMT

Jonathan Wilson <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> writes:
For me it is: (not in order)
1.technic decorative pannels
2.townjr car bases
3.flexable axles
4.studless fullwidth beams
and 5.technic angle connectors

I agree that many of these are very useless.  But creative builders
can find uses for these pieces.  As an example, consider Greg
Majewski's "Beryllium Serf" spaceship:
http://www.geocities.com/citrusx__/bes.html

However I would propose that rather than complain about how useless
these pieces are, take it as a challenge to find a better use for
them.  So to that end, I am sponsoring a contest with ACTUAL PRIZES!!

Anyone who makes a model that uses one of the "useless" pieces
described in this thread ("what are the 5 worst lego elements?" on
lugnet.general) in an innovative way, such as Greg's model, will
receive a prize: a matched set of technic decorative panels!  (I have
a bunch of these that I got as part of a recent eBay purchase.)

There's no first place, second place, etc. - if I consider it to be
good enough, I will send a pair of Technic Panels(*).  I will put up a
web page documenting all the models submitted, with a thumbnail of
each, linking to your web page (e.g., a folder on Brickshelf) with
more detailed pictures.

Contest Rules:
* Limit one prize per person, but you may submit more than one entry.
* Limit one prize per "bad" element used - only the first acceptable
  entry for the given element will be accepted.
* Acceptability of the entry is at my sole discretion.
* Prizes will be awarded only while supplies last.
* Entries must be constructed between June 19, 2001 and July 31, 2001
  (sorry, Greg).
* CAD models will not be accepted - must be built of actual Lego,
  photographed, and posted on the web (Brickshelf, your homepage, etc.)
* Only actual Lego elements will be accepted as the "bad" element, but
  clone bricks may be used to complete the model if desired.
* The "bad" element(s) must be used in a manner totally different from
  the way TLC has used the element in any set.
* Use any theme - space, castle, town, Technic, whatever.
* The element must have been listed in the "what are the 5 worst
  lego elements?" thread in lugnet.general by at least one person
  other than you.

--Bill.

FUT: lugnet.general

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.