 General / 28732
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:36:56 GMT

There have been many times in life (College, Grad School, PhD,
Jobs, Kids, etc) where I've been acutely aware that the _only_
reason I was able to persevere through and solve problems was due
to the patience and methodical search approach I learned from
sorting through piles of bricks.

Needless to say, the 20 cubic feet
of lego scattered on my floor (the rest are on the table :))
are completely unsorted, and my kids (Ages 9, 7, 4 and 1.3)
spend hours combing through it, finding "good" pieces and
trading each other for them. Hopefully they'll learn enough
doing that to last them for the rest of their
life, so they can land a killer Silicon Valley job and afford buy
their own ridiculously large piles of bricks.

As a parent, I don't want to buy sets that are easy for them.  Well,
except for Transformers.  I am so very tired of being to only one
in the house that can fold them back into their original shape.
Especially that purple bug guy...but I digress.

-gyug

In lugnet.lego.direct, Rose Regner writes:

I have to disagree with you on this point. I have a four(almost five) year
old boy and the mini set bags make it easier for him to build the sets. He
gets frustrated when he can't find the parts. This also makes it easier for
us to build the set together since we can both take a "part" and build in
parallel.

Actually the mini bag sets speed up the building process with out
compromising the set design.

Rose