 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2339
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:30:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
"A. Mark Wilburn" <amwilburn@iname.com> wrote in message

Guess I'm weird that way; I'm almost insulted when I get a Town Junior set
that's pre-seperated for me (but oh well, not like I can't just dump it all
out) yet when I get a larger set I'd like some sort of sorting.

Why be insulted?  I think that separation is a good step for keeping kids'
attention spans, and if they're separated it makes it a faster build for you
too.  But...why would you want to actually build the main model of a TownJr
set?!?  Beats me.  I don't mind separating out the parts like that, but I really
wish they'd go back to car doors, roofs, headlight bricks, and more than 4
pieces to a car.

-Tim

Oh, they do still.  But you have to go to a specialty store for them.
Examples are the Velux house, all the 2000 Shell sets and probably some
others that escape me right now.  The problem is not that kids want
something easier to build, but what the mass-market retailers will order.  I
think that Wal-Mart type stores have a dumbed-down process, I mean the two
most popular $80 plus sets of 2000 (Millenium Falcon and King Leo's Castle)
aren't even available and I hear kids on the aisle being redirected to TRU
all the time!  Those aren't even HALF as cool as those Shell sets were.  The
Shell stations around my house literally could not keep them on the shelf,
and I only got enough for three other people (4 complete sets of 12).  And
that was only at two of two dozen stations.  Upon asking the shop owners how
the kids and adults responded to the sets, they said that it was like the
doors were being beaten down to get these things.  Kids know quality too,
LEGO knows it.  Trouble is how to persuade those Wally Worlds that "this
isn't the same thing you had on your shelf last season".  It is my belief
that if you want to blame anyone, it is the retail purchasers for new product.
That's my take on it.
Aaron