 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2092
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:30:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Petrucelli writes:
I find it very hard to belive no one had anything to comment on about this.
Then I relized it was only posted to lugnet.general.

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=28214

I certainly found my results intereting.

-Mike Petrucelli

Basically, parents and kids are seeing the piece count go down and the price
remain the same (or get worse).  The less of an adaptable construction toy
it becomes, the less justifiable the high price.  I'm less willing to buy it
for my son, and with effectively Castle and Pirates at an end, I'm no longer
interested in new sets for myself, and the last Castle sets were pretty bad
(nice figs, but that was about it).

And the odd thing is that Lego's profits have gone steadily downhill.  I'd
understand the juniorization if that was what was what the public wants and
the stuff sold, but with profits taking a major lump, that doesn't seem to
be the case.  From their viewpoint, things may not seem so cut-and-dried, of
course.  All I can do is vote with my dollars.

Bruce