 General / 28521
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:21:44 GMT

I'm a little confused here. You don't want to waste time looking for the
pieces but you want them all to be the same color and if they're pre-sorted
into "minisets" you'd rather dump them all out into the box? When I built the
UCS sets, it was the handful off-color pieces that were easiest to find; the
delays came when trying to find a grey 2x3 plate in a box full of grey 2x2,
2x4, 1x3 and several other sized plates.

I'm not big on sorting either so it really wouldn't bother me at all if they
bagged big sets like that by sub-assembly. Bags 1 = fuselage, bag 2 = upper
left wing, bag 3 = lower left wing, etc. Of course, all those slight wing
variations were pretty boring to build, anyway. sort of made me appreciate
the slight variations in the previously same-seeming Model Team vans and big
rigs. :-)

And to comment on a previous message, my version of the fastfood analogy
would be that, while McDonald's has had both successes and failures with
new products, McNuggets vs. Pizza for example, they haven't significantly
changed the Big Macs that helped get them to the top of their field in the
first place. I completely understand Lego branching into software and
introducing "Juniorized" sets to appeal to the non-builders of the world
but when there's nothing left in their line except Junior sets what are
the builders going to play with? Answer: Not Lego.

Doug

In lugnet.lego.direct, A. Mark Wilburn writes:
First of all, despite the fact I agree with the general consensus, I can
sort of see how the research appeared to point to juniorization: the fact
is, when I buy a set I tend to not want to waste time looking for the pieces
and spend all the time actually building. I agree with this. That does NOT
mean I want fewer pieces. Let me use the UCS X-Wing as an example: that set
took me far longer than any other set to build (not even Technic Supercars
take anywhere near that long). Why? Because I spent most of the time looking
for a specific part in a specific colour (since they seeded the kit with a
lot of different colours for pieces that were hidden anyway). I don't want
that. Why would I want to spend my time looking for the one yellow 2x4 plate
(vs say the mess of blue, white, red, grey, black and dark grey ones) for a
piece that's hidden from view anyway. Far better to make all the hidden ones
grey (or white... whatever the surface colour of the model is) because it's
a lot quicker to just search for the 1st grey one if they're all grey.
Besides, if I like the model enough to buy it, I probably liked the surface
colour of it: give me more pieces of that colour(s)! Not this random
coloured garbage.

Which is why I was SO pleasantly surprised when I opened my dragon sculpture
kit. Solid green! No random colours! Maybe they are listening after all...
But then why haven't we been given an all grey battleship or aircraft carrier...

Also, I don't particularly care for the bagged 'minisets within sets'
juniorization, but then you can always just dump everthing out into the box.

Mark W.