 General / 28499
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:32:09 GMT

"Mike Petrucelli" <lordinsanity@usa.net> wrote in message

Yet this "marketing reasearch" directly contradicts that which I observed as • an
Assistant Manager at KB Toys.  As my original post stated many parents and • kids
thought Mega Blocks sets were the good Lego sets.  Most of the people that • know
the difference ask if we have any good Lego sets like the Mega Blocks sets.
Yesterday I overheard a Woman comment to a friend: "The quality of Lego sets
has gone way down.  Half of it isn't even made with pieces anymore."  She
bought the red helecopter Mega Blocks set.

How sad, but true.

Since this post, I feel that we are wasting our time.

If that is the case then TLC is ignoring the core market of kids that they
claim to be a company for.  TLC needs to stop marketing to kids in general and
start marketing to kids that like construction toys.  I firmly belive, after
withnessing what I have at my job, that is the major problem TLC suffers right
now.  My question is: How many years can TLC operate in the red before they
either get the message or cease to be?

YES!!

We *are* the ones making sense here, those who have observed the decline of LEGO
products and call it as it is.  I know a lot of employees read this, but perhaps
they aren't in the right part of the company to affect this.  We who love the
brick naturally would watch out for the company which provides us the brick.

I'm saddened that a lot of AFOLs have become disenchanted with the company and
some to the point of being very cynical and abusive of them.  But, I'm more
saddened that LEGO isn't quite listening fully, just yet.  Its encouraging to
see the steps Direct has made, but remember they're a small part of the company
compared to the big engine that drives set development and production in
Billund.

That's why I want to do that survey, but, I want to do a lot of other things too
(as those who know me a little better might understand), and I don't have the
time/energy, balancing that with a couple ongoing projects, and oh, being a full
time student.  Maybe over break I can assemble a few more thoughts to doing a
survey, publishing proceedure and materials online (in PDF format maybe?) and
then allowing individual AFOLs to conduct it and collect data to be published
online.  Any ideas?

-Tim