 General / 17913
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 00:06:43 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Chris Maddison writes:
I was snooping through Brickset today, and came upon something.  TLC has
firmly taken a stand on the race issue, saying that they give children yellow
heads and let them play with them however they want to.  They say they don't
take sides when it comes to race and ethnic background.  But, I found these
Duplo sets (5089, 5090, 5091) that are families from 1996.  African-American,
Asian, and Hispanic, respectively.  So, if TLC has taken such a firm position
on not making alternate colored heads for Lego Systems, why can Duplo slide
by?  I want a Lando fig, and Billy Dee Williams ain't yellow!
-Chris

    I got to thinking about what you said... so I went back and watched the
Star Wars videos and you know what?  Neither Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, nor Qui
Gon Jinn were yellow.  Papa Skywalker isn't gray.  Whattaya know.
    I know!  They could make Lando dark yellow.  Then everyone would be mad
because when they used Lando heads in their castle/space/Timmy sets he always
stood out like a sore thumb.
    Or here's another alternative.  You could make africans and native
americans and asians and white people all yellow.  Then there would be no
racial bias or preference.  It would be as if every race were considered one
people.
    On second thought, that's a terrible idea.

Markus (who is personally mortified that the Gungan race color has been
brutally misrepresented by Lego  Yellow supremecists!)