 General / 17821
17820  |  17822
Subject:
suing TLC for discrimination (was: Re: A simple answer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 04:05:13 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

"Dave Low" <stinglessbee@hotSPAMFREEmail.com> writes:
IANAA (I am not an American), but would a special interest group
really *sue* Lego over a portrayal of ethnicity?

I doubt it.  Even if someone wanted to sue LEGO, what could they possibly
argue?  LEGO has the right to free speech, and therefore has the right to
make their figs any color they want.  By not creating figs with various
"skin" tones, LEGO is *not* discriminating against anyone...
--Bram

You're right, they can't sue TLC for *that*, but...
what if there were a lawsuit by TLC employees in the USA who
thought they were being denied promotions due to their race.
Could they use the "racially pure" minifigs as evidence
of a corporate culture of discrimination?

I wouldn't be surprised if this notion were to scare TLC since
it appears that Lego runs scared of the thought of lawsuits
(witness the non-shooting cannons in the USA).

/Eric McC/