 Events / 2017
Re: The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.events, Mark Rideout wrote:

Good points Ted. When is southern California going to anti up and get a fest going again? ;)

-mark

Having lived in SoCal, and asked the same question many times of many people, I think a lot of it is that there are still some hard feelings after the BricksWest incident.

Also, many people have expressed the hard question of whether or not to involved LEGOLAND. Once you are that close, shouldn’t you go see it? Should the convention be there, or take a trip there? Which opens a whole new shipment of worms. And the administration of LEGOLAND is torn on the question as well, making collaboration hard.

But if Ted and ILTCO and NMRA can’t get a show there, no one can. A parasitic general LEGO-related fest along side sounds good to me.

SoCal is probably the closest likely location for a fest for me. And with an eight hour drive, I’d still look at flying. So I think a major airport hub is more important than geographical location for my choice of fest attending. That and ticket price.

More fests means more competition, which (hopefully) means better prices.

Aaron Sneary