 Events / 2015
Re: The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:27:28 GMT

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I’d like to respectfully disagree with your labeling of Chicago as ‘centrally located.’

Anthony - You are right Chicago is not in the exact center of the country.

Let’s consider logistics for a moment:

1) St Louis is 4+ hours from the nearest major city and only 3 or 4 major cities within an easy days drive (still 12 hours from Houston) - while Chicago has Indy and Detroit about 3 hours away with Cincinati, Columbus, Minneapolis and St Louis within an easy day drive

2) Lots of AFOLs within a short radius of Chicago...not sure if I can say the same thing about St Louis

3) Chicago is a direct plane flight from every major city in the US. St. Louis doesn’t have that type of airport support for those that fly in. Additionally, Chicago is a direct flight from European locations and I don’t believe there are many (if any) direct St Louis flights. -- I like the idea of making it easy for people from Lego to get to Brickworld.

4) The organizers of Brickworld are near/in Chicago -- so it is a lot easier to do all the associated work (not to mention our personal savings in not having to have hotel rooms when we are working to organize the event)

Chicago is centrally located for many of us. I am sorry that it isn’t a perfect solution. But, St Louis wouldn’t be perfect either. In fact, if I have learned one thing in my engineering career, it is the existence of a place called “good enough”...as many engineers continue to spend time and money searching for a perfect solution, I have recognized that the law of diminishing returns will apply...translating -- we could spend a lot of time and effort trying to identify a location and create a perfect fest, but I think the result would be that we never actually hold the fest...what I am saying is that we found what we believe is a GREAT location and time frame for a fest so we didn’t look any further.

I concede your point that Chicago is not perfectly in the center, please forgive my choice of words...but it is significantly more accessible than East or West Coast locations for those of us that are in the middle of the country.

I hope the drive isn’t too much for anyone that wants to be a part of what I hope to help make a wonderful/educational gathering for all who attend Brickworld.

Best Regards, Bryan