 Events / 2013
Re: The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:15:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events, Steve Witt wrote:

The question I have is whether or not some fests have become too much expo and not enough convention. By this I mean, are we putting on shows at great expense to ourselves or are we glady paying money to go hang out with other people we enjoy being around.

Both expo and convention can exist side by side, but I’m curious where the balance is and are some events more interested in expo than they are in convention and vice versa. I hope this doesn’t open a can of worms, but I’m truly interested in ya’ll’s thoughts.

Steve

Steve-

I think this is a very good point and some of us have certainly discussed it before. A public expo provides:
  • A chance to show off creations to a big crowd
  • Opportunity to spread the word about LEGO
  • A bigger market for vendors
  • An incentive to get TLC to put a store on site and offer discounts
  • A hedge against cost overrun
  • Profit for organizerrs
  • Cost reduction for the non-public portion
  • A “focus” for everything that happens
  • Incentives to the venue (food and beverage sales, parking, etc.)
But I’m in the camp that doesn’t like the expo for a number of reasons:
  • We had 200,000 visitors to SCLTC events last year. We don’t need to fly across the country, rent a car, stay at a hotel, and eat at restaurants so to show small fraction of our work a few thousand more people.
  • The fests are necessarily short (3 days max) and the expos typically come out of the most prime hours.
  • The expos make money, but not for the bulk of people who make them happen.
  • The expos interrupt the fest and hijack the schedule.
  • The expos require security and work. I implicitly trust the community to respect and care for the stuff I bring, but the public requires a full court defense.
My bottom line is that time for the community to be together is short and hard to come by and giving over so much time and effort to the expo is just not a good thing.

Some ideas:
  • Limit the expo to one day
  • Limit the expo to mornings, when many registered guests who were up all night are snoozing late anyway.
  • Distribute the profits from the expo (after expenses for the fest and a set-aside for next year’s seed money) to the registrants. At least we wouldn’t be working for free for someone else.
  • Get TLC and the vendors to man the expo. With on site stores making way over $50K per day, it would be a trivial cost of doing business.
-Ted SCLTC