 Events / 2000
Re: The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:22:30 GMT

In lugnet.events, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Ted Michon wrote:
   Once upon a time, there were no fests, And that was bad.

Then there was The One Fest. And that was good.

Then there were more. And some were good, and some not so good.

And now there are many. And some are great. And some are brand new and have promise.

But ultimately, are lots of fests a good thing?

As one of the “fest proliferators” I would like to add my 2 cents...

We decided to create Brickworld because there was no centrally located large AFOL event and we believe that there are many midwest, mountain and west coast AFOLs that would have a better opportunity to attend an event in Chicago. Our belief is that the community is growing and we like the thought of a growing community because it adds strength to LEGO and a broader future for our favorite way to spend time.

My personal point of view: I don’t attend events on the west coast because it is too far to take my toys without paying to ship them (ie - I can’t drive there). I DO attend BrickFest and intend to continue attending BrickFest. My support for existing events has not changed. I still want to get to Brick Bash (Duane’s event). I still participate in LafLRC, Chibots and Science Central robotics competitions...and it seems like we always do a GBC display at these events.

So - I don’t see proliferation as dilution at this point.

My opinion for what its worth.

Bryan

I’d like to respectfully disagree with your labeling of Chicago as ‘centrally located.’ This event is 18 hours away from me here in Houston. Brickfest in Arlington VA is 26 hours away from me. I drove that, didn’t like it. Well, ok, so we did it without stopping for sleep on the way up (on the way down we stopped for sleep twice.. I liked that a lot better). Nevertheless.

The point is I no longer fly, I refuse to for my own personal reasons, which I won’t discuss publically. This means that I have to drive to any fest I go to. I’ll drive 12 hours no problem, but any longer than that, for me, is pushing it. I love going to Brickfest, and I’ve always wanted to go to the big NMRA thing you guys have up there. I’m dieing to go to PDX, and those Floridians seem to have a lot of fun at the Festival of the Masters. But all these locations are near the edges of the US, and my location here in Houston (and my refusal to fly the friendly skies) prevents me from attending any of them without serious sacrifices on my part.

I would argue that Chicago is not as centrally located as you would like to believe, and would submit that St. Louis is much more centrally located, as far as US fests are concerned. From what I can figure, St. Louis is just about as centered in the country as far as North and West, and practically due south of Chicago, considering the East and West directions.

Now I will grant you that there is an inordinate number of AFOLs within short driving distance of Chicago, and I will also grant you that Houston is in the (butt) end of the US. Still, I think asking people to drive an extra hour or two is better in the long run when considering others get to shave 1/4 to 1/2 off their driving time.

I mean, come on, what do you yankee AFOLs have against us rebels? ;)

--Anthony