 Events / 1986
Re: The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:05:27 GMT

I always thought a good idea or rule of thumb would be to have one per season,
so that would be 4 per year. One for each corner of the continental USA, if we
are talking Fests for the Americas.

However, with the space the PDX folks have, I can see why they are making it
happen. I'd still like to see a fest held in LLC. Then your quandry comes in to
play, and that makes 4 fests, if a So. Cal. fest makes a come back.

Is one per season a good thing? Too many? Do you think 4 is good?
Or try not to geographically clump them together?

When a great space presents itself, sometimes it really makes sense.
Ultimately, it does have an impact on other people making a fest happen if they
feel they are overlapping or underserving the need.

I also like the idea of all the great cities in between hosting the Fest,
rotating. Maybe one that changes venue and city, but the other established three
being held annually.

Either way, I do see the issue you have raised, and I think of the few people
that could make a fest come together, you Sir, are one of them.

:)

my $.02

-eric