 Events / 1992
Re: The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:21:09 GMT

   More fests is a sign that interest is healthy and growing, but it’s also tough on the concept of “one” community. Like Beta and VHS, choices may be valid but having them may not be a good thing..

The proliferation of fests is very similar to the proliferation of web homes. Once there was none and that was bad. Then there was lugnet, and that was good. But lugnet doesn’t fit everyone’s tastes and needs the same way. So perhaps the success of forums will be the best indicator of how well numerous fests could do.

I have always thought that one of the best compromises would be for the largest fest to travel each year like most professional conferences. That way it could be hosted by different LUGs and we could get to know new cities each year. I could give you a ton of reasons why that will never happen, but its still a cool thought.

I agree with all the points you made. I miss the one-ness we used to have. But I like the rapid growth the community has had and the new things that have come from it. If I lean in any direction, I’d lean toward more fests and the fostering of new ideas over doing things the same way because its comfortable.