 Events / 1984
1983  |  1985
Subject:
The proliferation of fests: Good or bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:29:23 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Once upon a time, there were no fests, And that was bad.

Then there was The One Fest. And that was good.

Then there were more. And some were good, and some not so good.

And now there are many. And some are great. And some are brand new and have promise.

But ultimately, are lots of fests a good thing?

The good:
  • If you can’t get to an established fest location, more fests increase your chances that one might be close enough and fit your schedule.
  • If your budget and schedule permit, you can get to as many as you like.
  • If you manufacture or resell bricks, the more fests the better.
The not so good:
  • Geograhy, budget, and schedule impose limitations. Not everyone can or will go to every event, so necessarily the chances of getting the most people in one spot diminishes as the number of events goes up. The fun and impact of one big annual event is diminished.
  • If you live outside driving range, all fests cost essentially the same for transport (it is not unusual for a 1 time-zone flight to cost than a cross country trip) for transport, room, and board. So, if you have to fly, you would rather go to the “big event”, but if there are lots to choose from, then there is no obvious “big event”. Instead, you find yourself thinking about creating a yet another fest so that you will have one within 500 miles of your own home and you add to the problem.
More fests is a sign that interest is healthy and growing, but it’s also tough on the concept of “one” community. Like Beta and VHS, choices may be valid but having them may not be a good thing..

-Ted Michon
SCLTC