 Dear LEGO / 539
Re: LEGO for Life Sweepstakes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:10:32 GMT

spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com (Richard Franks) wrote in
<FLoyHL.Gx7@lugnet.com>:

In lugnet.general, Mark Herzberg writes:
In lugnet.general, Peter Callaway writes:
The sweepstakes is only open to US residents.

Hohum.....Yet another international company ignoring their
international customers by running a "US residents only" competition.
How many times have I seen that?

I'm pretty sure that LEGO America, Inc, not TLC, is running the
contest.

You know, living in Europe, I see so many examples of this, and I have
to agree with Peters sentiment completely. Is there a *real* reason for
making it US only, or just laziness, or bad company inter-communication?
Because as a company that has world-wide distribution, I think they
could effectively send their new sets to any kid anywhere, with relative
ease.

There are a lot of legal issues about how to run a competition
in the U.S.  Obviously lots of companies figure out how to do so,
and end up using all the standard text and so on:  "no purchase
necessary", "void where prohibited", "no employees can participate",
etc.  I wonder how much of this is to follow laws and how much is
in there to protect them from lawsuits.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know much about those rules,
but I'll venture a guess here that running a worldwide competition
would be hideously complicated from a legal standpoint (particularly
for an international company).  I'm sure  it could be done, but
I wouldn't be surprised if the cost were prohibitive enough to
make it not worth doing.

-r'm