 Dear LEGO / 3835
Re: If you could leave any book on Kjeld's nightstand...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:36:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andy Lynch writes:
----- Original Message -----
From: "LUGNET Admin" <suz@lugnet.com>
Here's a question - for no special reason but fun:

If you could leave -any- book on Kjeld's nightstand for him to read • tonight,
what would it be?

Interesting way to start a conversation.  I like it.  :)

Hmmm.  How about the "Ultimate Lego Book."

Andy, this was exactly my first thought as well.  I LOVE reading this book.
I love looking at the pics, and getting a *partial* glimpse into the history
of the company.

Annotated in the margins by AFOL's of course.

Exactly.  I consider this the best-written manifesto for a toy company which
does not exist.  Now, it's not that LEGO doesn't exist, it's just that their
operating philosophy has nothing to do with this wonderful book.  The book
talks in grand and whimsical terms about building things...... with bricks.
'Nuff said.

e.g.
[hand drawn arrow pointing to picture] 1,000 Light Blue such and such
pieces (NEVER sold to public),
[another arrow] 500 such and such pieces, (current retail offering has 2
sets each with ONE (1) in each set), etc.

Further to that... there are numerous pages which show models that could
never be built by someone at home.  Sure, some of these are pieces built for
the theme parks... fair enough.  But what bothers me is the fact that the
principle of building everyday and fantasy objects out of bricks doesn't
carry through to what it is that the company actually produces.  That's why
I say, the book is a fantastic blueprint if the company wanted something to
follow.

It's still fun to look at.  I will sometimes just take it off the shelf and
flip through it end to end looking wishfully at the pictures.

All the best!
Allan B.
- Expert Builder website
- http://www.apotome.com/builder