 Castle / 4173
Re: Ninja page update (not mine :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:58:44 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Don't know if anyone saw this, but John Robert Blaze Kanehl (1) updated his
homepage with a cool ninja creation...

Nice job, John!

Thank you!

I like the columns and narrow passages

I didn't like the "blah" flat look so I rotated them...the gaps are thin but
very use ful for archers and pikemen; the rotation also adds to a subtle
elegance

, and can relate to "no
room in apartment" ;-)

It's getting cramped in my little living space...I had to dedicate a patio
table to my creation.

Anyway, here's da link:
http://community-2.webtv.net/johnNYblaze44/johnNYblazeswebpage/

-Shiri
(1) So what should we call you on a day-to-day basis? John Blaze? John Kanehl?
Johnny? :-)

John is fine... johnnyblaze works too = )

  great oriental architecture!!  the roof's shape and long "curves" are
stunning!

Thank you! I have worked and reworked this style literally dozens of times
in the past 18 months...

  reveal the serets of those columns along the entrance hall,
please!  are they on 2x2 turnables?  they look set into the structure
diagonaly. this subtly compliments the use of the white latice pieces which
also feature a diagonal grid pattern.

I never thought of that till you mentioned it....the design just looked
right.  I have always wanted a "great hall" or similar interior design w/ a
balcony.  Part of my inspiration is from Dan Jezek's large pirate theme
fortress that features a 2 story hall/atrium w/ a chandlier...

  the building just gets more elagant
the depper into it one goes.

(I try to mix beauty(rudimentary architecture) with the beast(military
function), but not necessarily a "kinder and gentler" fortress)  The idea
originally evolved from a desire to create "arrow loops" and the fact that
there was an odd number of studs...I originally used the revolving door
pieces, but they didn't look right after I updated the design.

IF one survives the "guest welcome" that's
described! this aint' no inn! the view of the inner wall of the courtyard is
splendid!

No this ain't the most hospitable structure = ) (well if you are uninvited,
anyway)

next time, johnny, pose a couple of 'figs here and there to illustrate
things in the text like where the "welcome commitee" is positioned.  this
also helps give a sense of scale, and brings the model to life.  the finished product will have many of the standard Castle features....bulwarks, stables, blacksmith, peasants, dungeon, etc.  there will also be a moat/river on at least 3 sides w/  dock/seaport.

I was unhappy with the original pics that showed the archers and
pikemen...The figs obscured many of the design elements and made the
pictures crowded....I am working on that...originally the passage was mostly
black...the pics on my webpage were an experiment in a "lightly colored"
kill-zone...

though it's
in progress, what you have is very finished-looking.

the current pics give an idea of actual scale...there will be much more...I
am running low on slope pieces and plates for interiors and roof sections...
I will have to get some Dacta slope packs from glen or TCS to rectify this
situation...

  also, i haven't mentioned in .castle how much i love johnny's writing and
story-telling.  his black & white flashback sequence is a must-see for CW
balladeers!  his names are brilliant, and the story looks like it will give
james clavell's "shogun" a run for the money.

High praise indeed! I am honored <blush> these projects are a "labor of
love" so to speak... I love the challenge of workig inthis "eastern"
theme...there are many challenges...integration of unique elements and the
blending of 6 or more colors in my structures requires much experimentation...

i usually call him johnny blaze, because it sounds so hella-cool, and
johnny is one cool dude!

Again, high praise! I aim to please = )

my fortress includes many of the same basic features as Jason's... but
integrated differently..great minds think alike? = )