 Castle / 4175
Re: Ninja page update (mine :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:11:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Jason Catena wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Wow. I don't know. There are, after all, kids who read this NG (tho' not much,
granted). I think obsecure ways are fine, altho' personally I wouldn't mind
hearing the nastier sides (and by some definitions, I'm still a "kid").

Well, I've decided to avoid publishing the really nasty bits. Foul might be a
better word. If you're familiar with some of the more unusual age-old practices
of pagans and wiccans and demon-worshippers (oh my!), you'll understand that
some of the things they did to harness supernatural powers isn't reported
today.

Modern practitioners of Wicca will generally disavow any accusations of
sacrifice, soul-selling, etc.  The Wiccan Rede is: "An thou harm none, do as
thou wilt."  Just thought I'd mention it so you don't inadvertently offend any
Wiccans.  Digression over.

Personally, I'd be happy with the icky stuff left in the background/hinted at.
Not only is it a little classier and more elegant than gore splattered all
over the place, but by leaving it up to the reader's imagination, you will let
their mind fill in details that will be more frightening and/or disgusting to
them than anything you could possibly come up with.  Show them the shadows -
let their mind fill in the forms that cast them, and they'll scare themselves.

Just my personal opinion, though.

sakura @ mediaone.net             Jeff Johnston
Inever thought about the icky bits myself....upon reflection, my story has
its share of violence and mayhem, but I guess I will have to consider my
story presentation more carefully... my knowledge of wicca is limited, but
elements of my story may seem dark and violent...overall, I would agree with
jeff in the sense that it is the suspense and personal interpretation that
adds terror or evokes emotion...I like the implications of evil and the gray
areas of behavior when relating a story...Essentially my "bad guys" are
warped for a reason and my "heroes" have their shortcomings as well.